“I don’t think that is really my job at a funeral. Besides creepy!” The human body is important and Jesus wants us to respect it by burying the dead. You don’t have to be the gravedigger, but there are others ways to participate in this work of mercy. It’s okay you won’t be haunted by their ghost, but greeted by saints in heaven thanking you for your prayers to help them get to heaven.
- Attend someone’s funeral to take part in praying for the person and celebrating their life
- Help a family having a funeral by bringing food to a luncheon or being an usher during the service
- Secretly send flowers and a card to a family who recently lost a loved one
- Offer to help clean your church’s cemetery
- Bring flowers to a lonely tombstone
I challenge you to find a moment this week to bury the dead. And I’d love to hear in the comments below what you did!
Click here for ways you can perform the Corporal Work of Mercy: Visit the Imprisoned.